Librarian Traineeships Available At NLSA 2023 Is Open. We are inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment on a six-month contract basis. Priority will be given to youth (aged 18 to 35) in response to Government’s objective of youth employment and empowerment.
Trainee Librarians (53 in Cape Town and 50 in Pretoria)
The successful individuals will be based at our Pretoria and Cape Town Campuses.
The purpose of this short term employment opportunity is to assist the NLSA to digitise, conserve, secure and make accessible its heritage assets collections.
Successful candidates will receive training and be provided with real work experience enabling them to gain skills and valuable experience that can be applied in future jobs.
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science; Bachelor Degree plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Library Science/Information Studies; BTech in Library Science/Information Studies. An Honours/Master’s Degree and/or LIASA membership will be an added advantage.
- Computer literacy will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work
- Demonstrable excellent communication skills and outstanding work ethics
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team and under pressure
- Preservation and conservation services
- Bibliographic services and collections management
- Follow detailed instructions
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports
- Be willing to rotate in similar roles as requested
- Work rotational shifts, including weekends, when required to do so
For the purpose of selection, shortlisted candidates might be subjected to a competency test to determine their suitability to participate in the Programme.
The National Library of South Africa is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Appointments will be made according to our Employment Equity requirements and people with disabilities are invited to apply.
This advertisement replaces the previous advert for this position.
Applicants who have submitted their applications in response to the previous advertisement need not reapply.
Applications: Interested applicants must submit a completed prescribed application form obtainable from our website (www.nlsa.ac.za) accompanied by a covering letter; Curriculum Vitae; Matric/Grade12 certificate; certified copies of qualifications and academic transcripts, not older than six months; and a copy of certified Identity Document by e-mail according to the preferred location as follows:
Cape Town: firstname.lastname@example.org
No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 27 May 2023
Opportunity Closing Date: Thursday, 27 May, 2023 – 12:00.