How To Become A Motor Mechanic 2021 Is Open. Working as a Motor Mechanic is a riveting career choice and offers many opportunities in South Africa. Here’s what you need to know about becoming a Motor Mechanic.
Are you thinking of becoming a Motor Mechanic? Here’s what you need to know.
To be able to continuously adapt to new technology is a needed skill for a Motor Mechanic.
What does a Motor Mechanic do?
A Motor mechanic repairs, maintains and tests motor vehicles and other internal combustion engines and related mechanical components.
What are the working conditions of a Motor Mechanic?
Light vehicle Motor Mechanics work mainly in workshops and wear protective clothing. They need to keep up with changes in motor industry technology.
What duties and tasks does a Motor mechanic perform?
- Diagnose and correct the causes of faulty vehicle and equipment operation.
- Overhaul, adjust and repair: gaseous fuel engines; clutches; transmissions and differentials; ignition; wiring; lighting; fuel; cooling; braking and complex hydraulic systems; steering; wheel and suspension mechanisms; and body cab and frame components.
- Diagnose and repair electronic engine control systems, anti-lock brake systems, and air conditioning.
- In some instances a motor mechanic will be required to test drive equipment, complete reports, use parts catalogues, and perform other related duties.
What skills and abilities are required to become a Motor Mechanic?
- Ability to diagnose problems
- To be skilled in areas such as air conditioning system repair and installation, electrical system repair, fuel system repair and installation and computer skills
- To be able to continuously adapt to new technology
- To be able to transfer skills to younger mechanics
- To be able to communicate with team members
What should I do if I want to study to become a Motor Mechanic?
- Contact your nearest TVET College to enquire about the entrance requirements for the Tourism course;
- Visit Motor Mechanic businesses to gain more knowledge about the field and what it entails;
- Contact DHET Career Development Services to provide you with free quality career information, advice and counselling services on 086 999 0123 or e-mail: [email protected]
- Go for an aptitude test to help understand if a career as a Motor Mechanic is for you; and
- Attend Career Exhibitions in your area to liaise with higher learning institutions and obtain application forms.
Where can I study to become a Plumber?
TVET Colleges offer courses to become a qualified Motor Mechanic. Through these programmes, you can develop the skills you need and become qualified.
What are the minimum entry requirements to study Motor Mechanics at a TVET College?
At a TVET College, the entrance requirements for the Motor Mechanic course are:
- A Grade 9 Certificate + college requirements set per programme.
- Grade 10 with Maths and Science + college requirements set per programme.
Share this post with your Friends: